Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Worth a Mint

Black coffee has all but lost its appeal. My relationship with it is now strictly as-needed--just a shadow of the former desperate dependency.

Ingredients often associated with soothing intestinal discomfort are ginger, licorice, mint, and fennel - when I found this out, I quickly took up a tea habit. Now I drink several cups of herbal or decaf Chai daily. A spicy blend is great in the morning; daisies like echinacea and chamomile are enjoyed occasionally; lemon-ginger is a good post-lunch pick-me-up. Ingredients to avoid for SCD-compliance: natural flavor (often soy-based) and barley malt. Malt is sometimes hidden.

My favorite all-occasion tea is mint. There must be hundreds of different brands and blends - I have only tried a few: Lipton (very good!), Yogi (Organic Mint - they have other mints I want to sample, like Egyptian Licorice), Stash (peppermint and cascade mint); but there are so many yet to try, and they're so easy to obsessively stockpile acquire.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Barry said...

Hey,
Tea for two! I never used to be a coffee drinker and then I got into it, and now I am back out of it and I too love tea, the herbal varieties. I was amazed at what is in some of them and now, like with everything else I ingest, I read before I sip.
I also like to drop Gin Gin hard candies by the Ginger People in my tea for a little ginger refresher.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Erin Cavanaugh said...

LOL I also have 800 boxes of tea in the cabinet above my stove, half of which fall out on my head every time I go to prepare a cup. Yet somehow a new flavor strikes my fancy on each trip to the grocery store and makes its way into my cart...

7:31 PM  
Blogger NuttyMeatfruit said...

Lynn - I wish Gin Gins were sugar-free!

BeanMa - Paper boxes, not tins I hope! What's your favorite flavor?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Erin Cavanaugh said...

Favorite? It varies. During the holidays I loved Chai Nog lattes (sooo bad but so good). Now I'm into peppermint, Sleepy Time, and Yogi Tea Organic Winter Relief - "supports nasal and respiratory functions." It has ginger, cardamom, clove, peppermint, eucalyptus, basil, lemon grass, licorice... Kitchen sink.

Oh wait - I'm glad you asked me this question b/c I just read the box: not to be used while nursing. (Wonder why?)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Chai Nog ... that makes my mouth water! Eucalyptus and some other herbs in your Winter tea may suppress milk production; fennel, however, is said to support the supply. Ask your midwife :)

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home