Wednesday, March 07, 2007

C-Diff Retest

My order has been faxed to the lab, so I'll be heading in some time today. I'm thrilled that it is a blood test (not a stool test) this time! When the nurse called to inform me that the order was faxed, she mentioned that he had ordered a couple of other tests. I'll have to find out what they are, and more importantly, how much they cost. Ironically, the initial IBD panels were not covered by insurance and cost around $1000; those findings were already indicated by colonoscopy. It was the $75 C-Diff blood test that came back positive. Digestive disorder is expensive.

Update:
Additional tests sound standard and appropriate:
- Gram stain for white blood cell count and yeast
- C-reactive protein (high levels of protein in blood indicates acute inflammation)
- Sedimentation rate to measure how quickly red blood cells fall out of blood, another marker for inflammation; very abnormal in November's results
- Vitamin D (was low last year)

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin Cavanaugh said...

Good ol' insurance... They get ya coming and going.

Crossing my fingers that this is the LAST test you'll have to endure!

How quickly will you get the results?

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Normally the results are returned in a couple of days, but I won't hear until the doc is back from his vacation, next week (unless there is something unexpectedly shocking, and in that instance someone in the office would alert me).

9:45 AM  
Blogger Lynn Barry said...

My first clue as to what I was ingesting was costing me was my $5,000 kidney stone removal...I began to think about what I was eating and how what it was doing to my insides...keep going...you are on your way to freedom...albeit expensive. GOOD LUCK!

8:48 AM  
Blogger NuttyMeatfruit said...

*Ouch* for the pain, and for the financial hit, Lynn! You've come a long way :)

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home