Monday, February 12, 2007

Bon Biotics

Searching for what to do if you have just ended a course of Flagyl for C.Diff but may need to take a general antibiotic for another bacterial infection ... maybe recurrence could be avoided if I boost up the probiotics at the same time.

Let's just say my sore throat hasn't improved, and the ear-nose-throat invasion took me down on Saturday. I'll be seeing my doctor in a short while.

Come on immune system! You can do it!

In the meantime, some case studies about C.Diff recurrence would be useful, and not needing an antibiotic would be ideal (talking to you, universe).

3 Comments:

Blogger ~M said...

Have you ever heard of Bio-K? It's this yogurt like mixture of probiotics (there is a plain dairy version, a fruity dairy version (my pick), and a dairy-free soy version). They are kind of expensive but work better than any other probiotic I've tried and are easier to digest. I get Whole Foods to order them for me in "bulk" (pack of 15), which is cheaper than the 6-pack, which is cheaper than buying a single container. They must be refrigerated. My docs thought I had C-diff since my sensitive GI (already gluten-free) system was very unhappy after 3 rounds of Super antibiotics for a kidney infection and these really helped. They also seem to help me heal if I accidentally eat something with a trace of gluten in it (like a cross-contamination issue). Good luck!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Thanks very much for this tidbit, ~M. I had not heard of Bio-K. Pro-biotics are often packed with a bit of sugar to sustain them in transit - is Bio-K sugar-free? - I tried VSL#3, but the maltodextrin was too much for my system. One of the supplements I'm taking now, LactEnz, contains Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, and a couple of my other supplements sustain the healthy balance.

10:06 AM  
Blogger ~M said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home